Thursday, December 18, 2008

Raf Simons Spring 2002



Mr. Simons has had such an impressive run thus far, in hindsight, even if I was unsure of where he was headed at a few points… and I just thought I’d give credit where credit was due. I like that he’s always taken chances. I also like that his new work looks nothing like this collection above – despite the fact that I love it. I enjoy the progression of his work over the years and seeing the nods at his former self along the way.

To speak on this collection in particular, I really think the styling clearly lent a hand and a half to how well received this show was – however, I don’t think that detracts from the collection’s actually integrity. There is a wonderful range of pieces shown and the collection has some great aspects. People marvel at the political commentary he depicted here, but I sort of disagree. While I’m actually fine with the pieces aesthetically – I don’t think the intention is so novel, and some of his other collections have a MUCH higher level of political influence – they’re simply just not as literal. All in all, I really liked this collection; the fabrics are really nice, the construction is great and I love the fit of these pieces.

He's definitely one of the most important and underrated designers of our era, and though I'm not sure where he's headed sometimes with some of his newer stuff, he'll always have a special place in my heart.

No comments: