Thursday, April 30, 2009

Yoichi Nagasawa Spring 2003


Nagasawa has been on my mind lately after pulling out an old piece of his from my closet the other day. Though he did get ample recognition in the time he was most prominent, and was much appreciated as a successful and boundary-pushing designer, he is not really mentioned much nowadays in comparison to the other Japanese designers from the same pivotal era, I am not sure why.

I guess I have just always assumed that because he took a more mature approach to his work, that he lost much of the ambivalence and aspiration that his work formerly exuded. Whatever the reason, made some great pieces when he was in what I would consider to be his prime. Oh well… I guess none of that really matters but I always seem to find something to complain about, isn’t it?

Getting down to the collection itself; this particular one isn’t groundbreaking or anything, but I have always been really fond of it, none the less. I enjoy the manipulation of the fabric a great deal and the cohesive progression of the dyed pieces. One thing I enjoy best about his work at and before this point was the focus on form and deconstruction, which is I suppose what he ultimately shifted away from.

What I have always found most endearing about this collection is the descent of everything from the dye itself, to the actual fabrics which descend to morph into another fabric with a seamless transition. The strappy legwear is such a sweet complimentary contrast to the clothing. I really love the styling as well; it shows off well the ease of the pieces and how lovely his designs were.

No comments: