Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Antonio Marras Menswear Spring 2009


What a gorgeous and thoughtful collection; there is so much to admire. Kicking things off was an array of great blazers and spectacular pants styled to perfection with great vests, waistcoats, ties and tops which are perfectly layered. The cut on the trousers is fantastic… just the right amount of taper, but also just roomy enough to look comfortable and move with ease. The details of this collection are surprising and amazing, if you look hard enough. I’d love to see individual pieces – there seem to be so many! They are all individual yet the collection is really cohesive. Things like the floral vest worn under a blazer, as shown in the photo above, are really lovely to me; I love to see bits of flora mixed with predominantly masculine pieces.

The button down shirts at the end of the show are another story entirely, and a beautiful one at that. If I were a man, I’d probably buy about 5 of them. They remind me of minimalist collages except done on fabric. The construction of, execution and overall effect are something to be admired alone… then you take in account how individual these button downs are and it takes them to another level. The carefully placed ruching and colors as well as the compositions as a whole make these tops so very interesting.

Overall this collection is just wonderful, for me. This is the type of things I like to see in menswear; unusual, yet wearable beauty. The details are staggering here… from the divine floral headpiece to the stitching, to the precise mixture of pastels and neutrals amidst the colorful floral accents… this is a definite highlight of this week in Milan for me.

No comments: