Friday, January 23, 2009

Rick Owens Menswear Fall 2009


True to form, he delivered nothing particularly outrageous or unexpected, however, that it not to say it was boring or a disappointment – by any means. Some people are bothered by monochromatic collections, which I suppose I can empathize with to a degree. However, if there is enough beauty, depth and thought put into the textures and details within that singular color palette – then not only am I not bothered by it, but I find it totally admirable. My closet is basically monochromatic and therefore I heavily rely on interesting textures, beautiful fabrics and intricate detailing to build upon it.

At any rate, I think he’s done some great things here, if you take the time to consider. The variety of different leathers and textiles is so delicious; particularly the crocodile jacket with asymmetrical zipper – I think it’s fantastic. The proportions are nothing new, but they always look fresh to me, but I suppose maybe I am just a typical Rick fan in that way.

Perhaps he might catch some heat for these boots with the fur, so to speak. However, knowing Rick’s background, he came from the LA club / freak show scene of the late 80’s and if you are elderly enough (don’t worry, I am too) to remember those days, or possibly have been to a rave or two during that time, one of the things that the lovely gender benders would wear were hot pants with these elaborate DIY fur boots. The ones he’s done here are very similar in concept and material (although clearly his are ridiculously higher end), so I can’t help but wonder if this is somehow a nod to that era somehow.

Overall I really like it. I think some of the looks were maybe a little redundant, at least for a runway presentation, but it was also nice to see the range of things he’s produced. The basics, as usual are genius, the styling is amazing and what’s nearly the best part about is work is – the quality of the materials and the construction is perfect.

No comments: