Sunday, February 22, 2009

Margaret Howell Fall 2009


After such disasters as Charles Anastase today (ok maybe not a disaster but I didn’t like it as much as I anticipated I would), Margaret Howell’s collection was absolutely a dream. Not only by contrast, however… the pieces are lovely on their own, as is the styling of the show as a whole. I love the color palette so much; the clean tones are really refreshing. As always her flair for using menswear influences in her designs is my favorite part. The influences are not overt to the point where the clothing becomes androgynous but none the less, the menswear influence is apparent still, and I admire her ability to do this.

The proportions are one of my favorite attributes of the collection, as well. The fabrics she chose are perfection in this regard, as they give the beautiful silhouettes an air of ease, comfort and much appeal. The long white shirt-dress is so, so Limi Feu but otherwise no complaints really. I love that she offers up a lot of diversity within the pieces themselves and then further showcases this fact with the styling, as it showcases the great versatility of the pieces.

Oh, and speaking of the styling: it’s perfection. It’s definitely so refreshing to see simple but strategic styling which enhances the clothing’s aesthetics as well as functionality. The shoes are so adorable in their simplicity and suit the collection so well. Also I can’t not mention the hats before I finish. I almost really love the hats, but just wish they were very slightly less squared on the top as they resemble a cowboy hat a bit too much at the moment. I like the brim size of them, however… not small but not floppy either. All in all, this was probably one of the most all-around solid collections of the womenswear season thus far. :)

No comments: