Friday, February 27, 2009

Jil Sander Fall 2009


Milan’s fashion week kicked off and as usual it’s slim pickings, but at least it means we’re one step closer to Paris. :p

I am pretty happy with this Jil Sander collection overall, despite a few mishaps (most of, not shown in above collage) which are all too reminiscent of Raf’s FW09 menswear and obviously that is not a good thing. The odd cuts and neon patches aren’t doing it, Raf… give it up, man.

Anyways on to the positives, because, to be fair… there are indeed many! I see a lot of classic Jil here; many of the signature silhouettes and classic, sleek cuts that the brand was made famous for. A lot of the looks I pictured above are just the ones I liked the most and are not representative of the collection entirely but I think there are enough great looks to make the collection a really good one overall.

The fact that it is very no frills is appealing to me. It seems stripped of trends and gimmicks and lets the simplicity speak for itself. When Raf wants to go minimal, he can do it so well, so I wish he’d ditch these gimmicks he’s had going for a few years now and stick to classic and refined pieces because I think that’s where his strength lies currently. It seems like he’s sort of rebelling against that truth sometimes with the extras he adds on… when indeed he’s just detracting from the beauty that already exists in the minimalism.

Always a fan of longer jackets with a fitted trouser, I am definitely loving the proportions on most of the looks. The colors are amazing as well and I adore how he styles navy blue with black, because yes, that combo does work, and it works beautifully. The plays on different silhouettes is really cute as well, particularly the shorter black dress. Long skirts are always a win with me but gawd, the dashes of color on the linings underneath really ruin the asymmetrical skirts for me here… loving the cuts and length on them, though.

No comments: