Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Gareth Pugh Fall 2009


Let me just preface by admitting that yes… I am well aware that this is far too Rick Owens for Gareth’s own good. I think he should be mindful of this, as far as his integrity as a visionary goes… HOWEVER, being the rampant Pugh/Owens-obsesser that I am, you’re not going to hear me complain about the aesthetic love child of these two men.

While the silhouettes and cuts scream Mr. Owens, the materials definitely make this collection undeniably Pugh. He’s managed to encompass a lot of the detailing from his FW09 menswear, while seemingly has pretty much abandoned the aesthetic of his SS09 women’s line. I think this is more to the core of Pugh but to be honest, I was actually looking forward to seeing how he’d mesh this aesthetic WITH the one of SS09 womens. Maybe in the future he will go that route, who knows.

I think an important progression to mention is that these clothes look so beautifully constructed although he is still using very a-typical, industrial type materials and detailing. There is a definite refinement taking place which is admirable… I appreciate that he is upping his ante without losing himself and his original vision.

The outerwear for instance is to die for; those classic Owens cuts mixed with Pugh’s very inorganic materials is such a clear win. The metallics really enhance some of the silhouettes and give a cool effect. One thing I am not thrilled about is these wide leg trousers. I don’t hate wide leg trousers by any means… I own and wear a few pairs, but the ones here look sort of awkward and dare I say it, a bit matronly. What more than made up for that, though, are the amazing, ridiculously long goth dresses/skirts. I’m always a lover of long skirts and combined with these textures, they definitely made my heart skip a beat.

Overall I am fond of the collection. The outerwear, the boots, the beautiful textured tights – it’s all beautiful and I can’t wait to get my hands on some more pieces.

No comments: