Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Limi Feu Fall 2009


Add another triumph to the list of great collections for the week, because Ms. Yamamoto has delivered another great one. Significantly toned down, styling-wise… I wonder if this isn’t a response to criticism of her work looking ‘too young’. Perhaps that is not the reason why the styling is so different, but the stripped-down result still makes the point either way: her clothes are well done, her skills are beyond her years and most importantly, women of all ages can wear her clothing and that there are copious styling possibilities.

She shows us that somehow, the vintage-inspired but ultimately simple hair and makeup works just as well – and makes just as much sense – as the Princess Leia headphones or her typically very heavily-layered styling did.

Another high point for me is the fact that this is much more reminiscent of her work from before making the transition to showing in Paris. This collection is less, what is widely seen as, simply Yamamoto… and instead is more Limi herself. The silhouettes are not as over the top, the asymmetry isn’t as severe… but the detailing is seemingly where she channeled most of her energy and amen to that, because I know these pieces will be an absolute dream upon purchasing.

I guess the first element of this collection for me to gush about would have to be her vests. I mean, who can make a waistcoat like this woman, really? I love how she illudes to other garments such as jackets and then uses a halter back so that they’re essentially backless. Her vests contradict themselves and I adore that. Some of her garments heavily contradict themselves and I love that.

The outerwear is pretty fantastic here as well; especially loving the jackets with the additional front panels, eluding to them being layered pieces. The knitwear is fabulous as well, down to the pockets and the piping. Some of the short tulle skirts are a little too tutu for comfort, if I’m being honest, but the longer ones, plus the tweed skirts more than make up for it. The boots are phenomenal, though. I love how they sort of ascend into a thigh high stocking, therefore rendering the boot able to be manipulated, which is fantastic.

Now, the styling may have been toned down but the clothing is as beautiful as ever. I like the difference in presentation as well as how she played around with different types of closures, straps, hardware, etc, also. It seems like she is trying to find herself to some degree and I think it’s translating very endearingly into her work. Whatever the motivation, though… I love her evolutionary process and her clothes are some of the most beloved in my entire closet. And the fact that the ride is essentially only beginning is absolutely tantalizing.

No comments: