Saturday, March 7, 2009

Junya Watanabe Fall 2009


Thank heavens for people like Junya for keeping the surprise element in fashion. I can’t say that I dont’ know what to expect from him to a certain degree, because that’s just not true… every show is always so obviously Junya but the materials he works with are just so drastically different from season to season that it is still exciting to look forward to. When he decides to go dark, the result is always pure enchantment. Just for his SS09 show we got crazy prints and deconstructed denim pieces and now only a few months later he’s back to black. Not just black, however… black puffa, which surely has to be one of the hardest materials to manipulate into a work of beauty, but low and behold, that’s exactly what he’s done here.

I think it goes without saying that I love the color palette. The way he has just one solitary white garment midway is just so precious and I adore the gold detailing later on in the show… not so much the chains (which admittedly are tacky) but the gold fabrics he incorporated. Adding these subtle gold tones made a big impact amongst the black. Speaking of the black – it’s certainly prominent but not at all overwhelming as it is broken up so well due to the difference in materials and techniques from piece to piece.

As far as the styling and all goes, it’s very typical Junya… which of course is a great thing. I adore how the exaggerated heads are changing from season to season but how they’re still there. The makeup by Kamo this time around though, is particularly amazing… I am really blown away by it. What they’ve done is used very heavy and very strategic shading – as done in paintings – to virtually transform the shape and depth of the face. The way that they’ve done each girl’s makeup different is so good as well as it appears they’re each getting a light shone on them from a different angle.

To sum it up, I love it. Each season, Junya is only further proving himself as a living legend at this point. Lately, I have basically been living in my fav piece from FW08 and I am looking forward very much to owning some of this collection as well.

No comments: